Sunday, March 2, 2008

"Kooky"!!!

The other day, well friday actually, i was sitting with Boy and Boy's family and enjoying a nice quiet dinner. 'S' called from 2 houses away and insisted on going out that night. Since I love 'S' almost as much as I love Boy, I couldn't say no, even though I was rather comfily sprawled with a satiated stomach and it was about 10 in the night. Anyhow, I got Boy to come along and since we couldn't get anyone else at the last moment, S, Boy and me headed out.

S had been suggested to visit a place called Kuki. When she told me I first wondered if the place was called "Cookie", coz that was a warped name for a night club. Then i wondered if it was "Kooky" coz that didn't inspire too much confidence either. Finally I was told its spelt "KUKI"I was appalled. I would rather it be called something else, coz "Kuki" sounds like a boisterous Punjabi auntie. I wasn't too sure if I wanted to go there, I knew for a fact that boy didnt want to, considering he doesnt drink and/ or dance. (sometimes I wonder what he's doing with me, but that is completely separate post altogether)

So the three of us went up to kuki. The location, polite valets were all very impressive. So we didnt think too much about a 2k cover charge redeemable against drinks inside. When we the entered the place, I knew it should've been called Kooky instead. 3 floors, placed one above the other with an open space running through and through till the ground floor. 4 clusters of seating arrangements with white leatherite, no backrests, abysmally small centre tables and really warped interiors. Note to interior designers here: You appreciate that there is a very fine line between making a place look chic in red and making it look like a brothel. Kuki, unfortunately almost made it to the latter. Trance music was blaring from all corners with white smoke billowing out of a smoke machine on the first floor. A red butterfly motif suspended down the centre of the place completed the look.

We all tried rather hard to conceal our disappointment/ disgust but failed miserably. Alcohol was the solution and just when we had our hearts set on some nice cocktails, we were informed by an ill mannered, uneducated, ill informed server that the cover charges did not apply to cocktails. we then moved on to good ol Grey Goose, when the waiter told us that this too would not be covered and the charges were redeemable only against IMFL. Of course, needless to add, IMFL's were not being served that night. When S looked like she was gonna pounce on the waiter and kill him or storm to the guy who conned us outside, the poor waiter hurriedly agreed to serve us cocktails.

Slowly a bit of a crowd started trickling in. But either the place was hosting a costume party or a homo sexual party of sorts coz for chrissake one weirdo weirder than the previous one was walking in. Boy, S and I sat back, looked around, shook our heads in absolute disbelief and buried ourselves into our respective drinks. Then some vague magazine was hosting some warped event there (probably the Costume Party) and the "Event" was being covered by a vaguer news channel. As if the psychedelic red lights weren't bad enough, we now had to deal with glaring yellow lights and flashbulbs going off in our faces.

S decided to order some food, since the alcohol didnt seem to be doing too much for us. we ordered for some chicken on skewers served with hummus. The menu priced it at Rs. 450/- exclusive of taxes of course. When the dish came, it had 3 skewers with a cumulative of six pieces of chicken. S looked the waiter in the eye and asked him if he was kidding with us. Now i am not someone who always goes for food that gives value for money, but even I was scandalized. This place was a bloody joke.

We paid our bill...exited hurriedly and swore never to come back again.

S feels guilty as hell..with good reason if I may add, but real culprit, the one who's idea it was to begin with and who suggested the place to S is sitting far away, unafffected by the traumatic effect that one evening had on all of us. I think vendetta is in order!!!

Kuki has gone completely Kooky and its best if its rechristened.

2 comments:

S said...

Funny post! Or should I say funi? ;)
Nice blog by the way

She said...

Thanks. If it weren't for your comment, I was seriously considering shutting shop and focusing on work.