Thursday, March 13, 2008

'Weight'y Issues.

The winters have gone...Sigh!! The summers were here, but just for a bit. For the past few days the weather has been fabulous. Its nice, cloudy, windy, fresh and really invigorating. In fact, the weather has been so great that I have decided to restart with my morning run. Well, honestly, its not so much the weather as it has been other "weight"y issues. Yes, yes the north Indian winters have left an indelible mark on me; the extra 2 inches around my waist.

All through winters I have gorged on food. I gorged and gorged and gorged to the extent that I gave a higher meaning to the word "gorge". I did put on a considerable amount of weight, like there is considerable amount of water in the Pacific, but I always passed off the flab as the 3 extra layers of clothing I purported to wear through the bitter cold. Umm..confession: There was, at any any given point in time, no more than 1 layer of woolen clothing.

So basically, at the back of my head, I knew that come summer I shall either have to continue wearing the 3 layers of clothing and be hunted down as the Abominable Snowman or I would have to lose the flab. In the larger interests of world economics and the ecological balance, I have chosen the latter.

So now, each morn, I heave myself out of the cozy confines of my bed and run for about 40 minutes. It feels great.

Honestly, I've always been a superbly fit person. Agreed I've never been the anorexic thin bombshell, but I've prided myself on my fitness. A sportsperson all my life, I love the outdoors and vigorous physical sport. However, a sedentary, life consuming, and completely desk bound job does not leave me with much time or energy to follow any sport. Till some time ago I could not understand the rationale behind outdoor running. It seemed like a mindless activity. Kinda like golf, which according to me and I accept wrongly so, should not be considered a sport. I think of it as nothing more than a glorified walk in the park where you hit the ball then chase it down only to hit it further ahead and chase it again and so on and so forth. Well, running seemed kinda inane to me. That is till I actually started running. Now I'm hooked.

It is such an absolutely exhilarating experience, especially early in the morn. The Reebok campaigns about running, that seemed so warped once upon a time, now make sense. You have to actually run to be able to fathom what it feels like.

So basically, I am running. I am not losing any weight coz I still gorge, but yeah, I'm running and I love it.

1 comment:

Utopia said...

hahah! i love running too. makes me feel so much more in control of my life, makes me feel like i can do whatever i want and i am the master of my own destiny. silly as it sounds.though i hafta get back to running and keeping fit. i don't want all my lard back ;-).