Monday, February 4, 2008

All work and no p(l)ay.

Did, in former college lingo, an "all nighter" the other day. Before you start getting any whacky ideas in your head, an "all nighter" refers to a situation when you ending up studying/ now working for the better part of the night. I did one in office the other day and at the risk of sounding like a workaholic, it was great fun. There is something fascinating about staying up late in office, munching on a slice of the dominator pizza while palpitating over when you'll be able to wrap up work and head home. Since I am now almost a veteran at these all nighters, I now know the best way to deal with them and ensure that work's done. First I calmed my colleague, who is a rookie and this was his first all nighter. Then I ordered in pizza, enough for all of us. BTW, pizza is a great motivator to get the sluggish office staff to double up the photocopying. Then came the gentle cooing and egging on for rookie colleague and office support staff and then came the military rule. It was awesome. Poor Rookie was so thrilled at the prospect of putting in so much work one night and coming back early morn for a conference on the matter that he could barely contain his excitement. what was particularly funny was how his friends refused to believe that he was in office and when word spread in his circle of his hard work, they offered to bring him coffee, smokes and the like. Two of his friends even turned up to offer him moral support. Rather sweet. Funny, but sweet.

Then came the early morn meeting, which was hell. Was hoping to glide through the day in a stupor, instead, I was alert as a hawk. Seriously, man I too am surprised. probably it was the adrenalin that kept me going, but the following day was a charm. I was supposed to catch up with S and her boyfriend in the evening but was scheduled for another partial all nighter. G (S's boyfriend) finally told me that maybe I required "intervention" the Alcoholics Anonymous variety and all I could ask was "legal or divine?" At which point he gave up on me and told me I needed professional help to wean me away from my work. I dont think so. I love my work, et all, but I do have a life away from it. I mean take this for instance. I find time to wrtie, sparingly, but I do. Also, check out the contents of my posts, do not all of them include some details of an outing or a date or something? I think G's just too hard on me!! Sniff sniff.

In other news, I am taking a week off in the end of February for a few weddings. I am so looking forward to shopping, dancing, mehendi and making merry. Some good old fashioned bollywood, dhinchak bhangra and vodka :) Ah what it would be to have a glass of wine right now.

2 comments:

Utopia said...

Liar and all this while I thought something completely different about S. :P! All thanks to blog I found out. Please you look and sound so spaced out most of the days. Tis like you cannot snap out of the work mode. sigh!
All work and no play makes She an utterly boring lawyer.

Anonymous said...

hahahahahhaha.....omg....hahaha...