Friday, November 7, 2008

All I want is everything, am I asking too much?

I never thought I'd say this, but Bon Jovi suddenly makes sense. If and when that ever happens to you, that's when you know your life has hit rock bottom. 

So I am completely confused and totally clueless about what I want. I am great at taking decisions and can do so even under the most stressful conditions, but when it comes to taking decisions about my own life, I am as confused as a kid with the attention span of a gold fish, let loose in a candy store. I want to do everything, eat everything, go everywhere, drown myself completely in work one day in His arms the other and travel for the next six months with a false passport and under a false name. I want to do everything! Does this lack of commitment make me a guy? 

Seriously, I have huge issues with commitment, so much so that even though I could afford a car long long ago, it took me a year to find the courage in myself to commit that kinda money in one place. People who envy the ease with which I place orders for lunch for a table of 25 do not know that the reason I manage to decide to quickly is only coz I know that I will get to do this all over again in a while, if I dont like what I get now. But then what do I do when I am to decide who I want to spend the better part of my life with?????

I really wish I could have some expert, with a sort of warrantee card that tells me that THIS is the guy who's best for you and you'll be ecstatically happy with him and everything will work out just fine, you have my word! The problem is compounded by the fact that I still have the notions of marriage being a 'till death do us part' concept, which runs the risk of making a wrong decision loom larger than ever. 

AAAAAAAARRRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!! HALP!!!!

19 comments:

BananaFish said...

You're being human.

and don't be embarassed about quoting Bon Jovi. Destination Anywhere..his debut solo tape was a classic that completely went unnoticed. Give it a hear and you'll be dancing with the queen of new orleans soon!

BananaFish said...

...though you do realize your title is not a Bon Jovi song right?

Golden Words said...

I came with a warranty card, but that expired..
To be honest, if life wasn't full of risks and surprises, it wouldn't be too exciting would it.
If i were to tell you, exactly what will happen to you tomorrow, will you enjoy the day?
Wont you be a robot basically following instructions?
anyway, when u are in the candy store, bring some for me allright?

Golden Words said...

p.s i like ur writing style and ur blog!

She said...

@APSD: Dude, give my dilemma a lil more importance than music. (rolling my eyes) But, honestly, I did not know that this was not a Bon Jovi original. Tell me more.

@golden words: I agree entirely with you, but having to take a decision is such a scary prospect. But I guess its all in my head. Thanks for dropping by.

Mundanely (a)mused said...

haha, men with warranty cards- yes a perfect solution.

I am as non-committal as ever these days. I cannot put my finger on why to be honest. But it might be more because of the nature of things we encounter- temporary. Everything we are part of comes with a 'phase' attached to it. We are the children of seasons. We drift along to find greener pastures always. Or I don't know if there is a different theory to it. It beats me mostly :)

Unknown said...

I guess we all go through the dilemma... but i guess the ' falling down' ( or here, wrong commitment bit) is part of package when u want to walk ahead.

I wish the warranty cards came and they held true as well... but guess that doesnt happen because sometimes there is no warranty for the warranty card itself.
I'm losing it now...

So girl... the only option is to take the plunge... and to quote metallica here.. this is " sad but true"

:)

She said...

@shoe girl: No, you're not losing it, coz you made perfect sense to me. Wait, does that mean that I'm losing it? But, yes, taking the plunge is bloody tough. Bloody bloody tough.

SMM said...

I wish I could say something or give some guidance but guess it would be something like 'choti muh badi baat'.

All I'm going to say is that when you meet your Mr. Right the bells are going to ring (I think they did for me at least or maybe I ODed on Mills and Boons). But don't look for a perfect guy, that's never going to happen. Noone is perfect.

Okay I stop here cuz I'v said this so much to my friends that its boring to be repetitive, but I can't help but repeat myself.

Anonymous said...

'Better part' of your life? Marriage changes your life forever... no doubt. You cannot be sure if it is for better or for worse!
Don't compromise on the basics. Don't look at the pay package or brand names, it is the attitude that matters. Take enough time to know the person well before making a 'Go' or 'No go' sign.

~Victim of wrong judgement!

She said...

Dear 'Victim of Wrong Judgment': I am sorry you made the wrong decision. Do you think that's better than taking no decision at all?

Anonymous said...

No, it's not. Indecision is never good. Like the Chinese say, 'Get engaged six months before you get married.' My advice was to make sure you know the real person before tying the lifelong knot. Good luck :)

Bubbly Vodka said...

The Bon Jovi thing. Seriously? Dammit. My life has practically been at rock bottom all the while then! Lol.

Lifetime decisions are scary. I hope you take the right one.

She said...

@Anon: I know what you mean, but then again, do we really know the person as well as we think we do? I've now reached a stage where I wonder if I know someone at all.

@Bubbly Vodka: I am so sorry, but your name just brings a huge smile and I dont know if you're Indian and if you'll remember this crazy ad campaign by Pepsi in between which went "Oye Bubbly" But hey, thanks for the support, I finally did take the right decision.

Unknown said...

'I really wish I could have some expert, with a sort of warrantee card '

That stmt is so true.. I guess all of us who r searching will agree with that..then again maybe someone shud b developing a tool for that;it will be so much beneficial to mankind :)

Bubbly Vodka said...

Lol. Yes. My name reminds me of that ridiculous song too!

Arjun said...

you're adventurous....
Just cos you feel COMMITMENT PHOBIC - doesn't mean you are :-)
... also that does not make you a guy :-o

She said...

@Arjun: Thanks for the reality check Arjun. Trust me, I am anything but adventurous, you'd be surprised how boring I actually am, contrary to popular belief that is. But its great to know that I aint a guy. :)

Su said...

Its good to be back here.

*hug*

I am blogrolling you like ASAP. We have so much to catch up on. Trust you me!